Friday, January 23, 2009

Borgata Winter Open

Well never got around to posting my post-trip report from the PCA but I soon shall I suppose, if you want to see some pics from the trip click here pics from PCA

In the meantime I am presently seated in front of my laptop at Harrah's Waterfront Tower in AC thinking about last night and all I can do is shake my head. I came up yesterday with the usual group and Kenny who decided to grace us with his presence which is always fun. You see I came up for one reason, that reason to attempt to satellite into the BWO's main event. And coming off the PCA I feel like I am really playing some great poker and I am very confident with my play right now which is a big plus going into this thing.

Well last night I gave the survivor tourney a shot $300+$40 buy in, 8K in chips 25min blinds, top 10% get a $3000 freeroll into the main event. Well you get $3K cash but I would use that to play the ME of course. Not a great structure for the survivor but for a Satellite its so so. Well I played great, was winning races when I had to, taking pots down without much resistance and had accumulated about 105,000 in chips by the 3rd break approx. level 11. We were down to about 40ish players out of 247, top 24 get the 3K 25th gets 2K and some change. Well this story doesn't have a happy ending we get down to 27 players and a guy makes the stupidest play I have ever seen. There's a guy all in pre-flop and two others see a flop of 778 one guy checks bonehead shoves all in with A6 (A high essentially) other guy folds, all in guy has AK and triples up of course. The guy who folded would have rivered a pair and knocked out the all in player had bonehead not shoved the flop and I of course would have locked my seat up to the ME. But of course poker is brutal and painful as is life and I get to bubble the survivor and walk away with zero!

Pretty much I was put in a position where I could of tried to fold my way into the money for a seat and it should make for some interesting discussion. I had about 70K in chips the blinds were 5K/10K with a 1K ante and there were about 4 people at my table that had similar short stacks. A guy in MP shoves for about 55K I wake up to KK and re-shove long story short he has A10 and spikes an A and I ended up lasting 3 more hands before I get the BB and go out in 26th (24 places get 3K 25th gets 2K and change.) What can I do there I know a lot of people say fold and honestly I proably could have but had I folded and ended up getting blinded out before someone busted I would be kicking myself. If I win the KK hand I can just sit back and wait comfortably. I dunno it sucks but it is what is and I am not angry at myself for the play there.

On a positive I played great and it just added to my confidence level and that makes me feel a lot more comfortable while I am playing. I'm going to give one more satellite a shot tomorrow sometime so pray to the poker gods for me. On a negative note I have a new nemesis that I must over come that being the hand that is A10, that hand is haunting me, it made me short in the PCA, then showed up again to knock me out of the PCA and has now followed me back to the States to knock me out of my satellite yesterday. DAMN YOU A10!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:35 AM

    It sounds like you had 30 hands to go. You'd have made it....It's just so hard to fold AA/KK/QQ in that situation because you want to play but it's not a win, it's a cash you're looking for.
    Best wishes. I'm taking my shot on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true, you live and learn. Thanks for reading and thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete