Friday, August 11, 2006

2006 WSOP Final Table

I decided to order the pay per view broadcast of the 2006 wsop final table last night around 8pm. I didn't even know it was being carried by comcast because I had been looking for it but didn't see anything advertised, but then found it at the last minute last night. I wasn't sure what to expect or even if it would be worth it but figured what the hell. Its not like I was doing anything anyway other then wishing I was playing poker somewhere.

So I ordered the event around 8 pm, watched a solid 3 hrs and took a short nap till about 2am. When I got up there was still about 7 players left and the action was so so. The play got a little slow after it got down to 5 players and was a little boring, thank god Phil Gordon was announcing because he kept me laughing and some what interested. I mean the play was good but being a tournament player myself I just saw some big errors in the shorthanded play which could of had a drastic affect on the game. There were hardly any continuation bets, bets for value, or real good reads and these guys were playing so repetitive it was ridiculous. The last 3 guys weren't making any real good plays, reads, or picking up on some obvious tells that I noticed. But I can only imagine how nervous they were playing for that much money at the final table of the WSOP's main event. Anyway I kept watching all the way till it ended around 7am and the new world champ was crowned. And if you didn't already know, it was Jaime Gold who took down the last hand with Qc9c when he flopped top pair and got Warsicka to call his all in with a pocket pair 10 10. Congratulations to Jaime Gold who is the new world champion of poker and is 12 million dollars richer.

This was the first time ever the final table has been broadcast live and you ask was it worth it? I say yes for 25 bucks it was worth it, even though you couldn't see the cards. It was great to just watch them play and watch them bring out all that money when it got down to the final two players. Phil Gordon and the other guy Ali something (cant remember his last name) did a great job announcing and playing roshambo (rock, paper, scissors) for $100 a pop with their guests in the broadcast cast booth. Good show, the best without actually being there live. I do look forward to seeing the edited version though, with the hole cams, so I can see if some of my reads were correct.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you sir,10 hours of watching poker is almost as bad on the mind as 10 hours of playing poker.

    ReplyDelete